The cost associated with taxing your car is not to be sniffed at, and with some cars free to tax and others costing just shy of £500 per year, road tax prices can really make a difference when deciding which car to go for. All the information you need on car road tax prices and car road tax bands is here. Browse our comprehensive data, by model, car type, or tax band, to find the road tax information that you are looking for.
New Car tax prices categorised by car category
New Cars listed by tax band
Road tax band and tax disc pricing chart
How Road Tax Works...
Older cars (Before March 2001)
Currently, for cars registered before March 2001, there are only two different tax rates, and the rate you pay is dependent upon your engine size. If your car is 1549cc or less, you pay £130 a year, and if it is 1550cc or more, you pay £215 a year. Simple as that.
Cars registered on or after 1 March 2001
If you have a car that was registered after February 2001 then your tax rates will be dependent on the CO2 emissions from your car. There are now 13 bands - as opposed to two – and they are each allocated a letter from A-M. The road tax chart above gives a comprehensive breakdown of the bands and rates.
New Cars (Since April 2010) Showroom Tax
Cars registered after April 2010 are subjected to what is referred to as a ‘showroom tax’. This is essentially just a special tax rate for the first year that the car is out of the showroom, and it is heavily weighted (even more so than standard road tax) to favour the cars with lower emissions.
The lower emission cars pay nothing, conversely, right up at the other end of the scale, the rate for a high emission car can be up to £1000, more than double the standard rate. The full list of rates can be seen to the left hand side of the chart above.
Exemptions from paying vehicle tax
Free vehicle tax discs are available where vehicles - or the driver of the vehicle - are exempt. However, it is still compulsory to display a valid tax disc.
You may be exempt from paying vehicle tax if...
- You are disabled (may be eligible for the disabled tax class)
- You drive a mobility scooter (may be eligible for the disabled tax class)
- You drive a pre 1973 vehicle (may be eligible for the historic vehicle tax class)
- You drive an electric car (may be eligible for the electric vehicle tax class)
- You drive an agricultural, horticultural or forestry vehicle(vehicle tax exempt)
- You drive a mowing machine (may be eligible for the mowing machine tax class)
- You drive a steam vehicle (may be eligible for the steam propelled class)