CarSite.co.uk Buying Advice
Used Car Buyer Checklist
- Value Of Buying A Used Car
- Used Car Buying Scams
- Safe buying tips
- Making the most of your test drive
- Inspecting a Used Car
- Post Drive Inspection
- Questions to ask the seller
- Used Car Buyer Checklist
- Decide what make and model you want.
- Research the asking price thoroughly.
- Find out how much it would cost to finance the vehicle - should you be looking for a loan?
- Find out how much it would cost to insure the vehicle.
- Interview prospective sellers before meeting them in person.
- Set a daytime appointment for viewings.
- Before the test drive, check the undercarriage, engine and body for rust or damage.
- Check the interior for cleanliness, comfort and size.
- Inspect the tyres for wear.
- Check the oil is the correct level and colour.
- Check the coolant and radiator for leaks or corrosion.
- Drive on the main road to gauge the vehicle’s acceleration and handling.
- Test the brakes.
- Test the steering and alignment.
- Practise parking to check manoeuvrability and sight lines.
- After the test drive, inspect the engine for leaks, odours or smoke.
- Request and examine the service records, receipts and V5.
To ensure peace-of-mind when inspecting and buying a car it's best to have a specialist or mechanic inspect your chosen vehicle.